Real Estate Co-Powerment Series
Neighborhood Allies and Omicelo Cares are the co-creators of the Real Estate Co-Powerment Series (“Co-Powerment Series”), an initiative that is a combination of in-class instruction, coaching, and mentorship.
Launched in early 2017, the Co-Powerment Series is an education platform that demystifies the real estate development process, explains its associated terminology and brings to light the productive role community members and organizations play in the real estate and economic development inside their neighborhoods. An overarching goal of the education series is to shrink the technical proficiency gap that exists between real estate developers and community leaders that are involved in local development projects. We hope to create long-term, working relationships between private developers, real estate experts, community based organizations, business owners and active community members.
Since launching, we have graduated 70 students (five cohorts) from neighborhoods on the cusp of significant change, including Neighborhood Allies’ 6 priority geographies as well as additional participants from other local neighborhoods. Students range from community residents, CDC/CBO staff members, non-profit board members, small business owners, and each have varying levels of exposure to the real estate discipline. Key partners include the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA), First National Bank, Pittsburgh Cultural Trust, Green Building Alliance and NeighborWorks of Western PA.
At the end of the course, students are able to:
- Be able to evaluate deals and negotiate based on market realities and for the benefit of residents;
- Improve their ability to articulate community vision and expected outcomes utilizing the language of development;
- Identify creative ways to participate financially in development opportunities
- Real Estate Co-Powerment Series Graduates 5th Cohort, Opens Registration for Fall Course!
- The Real Estate Co-Powerment Series Welcomes 4th Cohort for Fall 2018!
- Congratulations to our Real Estate Co-Powerment Graduates!
- Real Estate Co-Powerment Series Celebrates Success of first 10 Graduates
- Real Estate Co-Powerment Series Teaches Local Residents the Basics of Real Estate