Life Home Ownership and Housing Services in and for Larimer | WAVES
547 Paulson Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15206, USA
Women Against Violent Enterprise and Services (WAVES) is providing home ownership workshops to individuals residing in the inner city Pittsburgh neighborhood of Larimer.
This $15,000 investment will positively impact Quality of Life in Larimer.
- 35 people receiving homeownership training
- 8 first-time homebuyers
- 26 participants become home-ownership eligible
Homewood Bennett Street Development | Habitat for Humanity
Bennett Street, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Habitat for Humanity of Greater Pittsburgh intends to build four new homes on Bennett Street in Homewood, providing four families with financial literacy education and homeownership through a 30-year, 0% interest mortgage with a one-year warranty.
This $15,000 investment will positively impact Quality of Life in Homewood.
- 4 first-time homebuyers
- 4 properties stabilized
- 4 people receiving homeownership training
- 4 people receiving financial coaching
- 4 people with increased wealth and savings
Hill District Tenant Leadership Development Program | Hill District Consensus Group
126 Erin St, Pittsburgh, PA 15219, USA
The Hill District Consensus Group will design and deliver specialized trainings for 15 tenants and provide them with on-site technical assistance.
This $75,000 investment will positively impact Equitable Development in the Hill District.
- A solidified program including curriculum, modules, evaluation system and tools developed
- 12 tenants completing the Tenant Leadership Development Program
- 5 successful mediations/linkages conducted, with tenants noting improved housing conditions and/or housing access
- 1 advocacy actions/policy recommendations to either prevent unwarranted displacement or improve housing conditions
- 3 positive neighborhood stories included on website, social media, and newsletter
2018 PopUp! Pittsburgh Project of Leadership Development Initiative
Millvale, PA, USA
Leadership Pittsburgh Inc.’s Leadership Development Initiative (LDI) Cohort will partner with Millvale community residents, leaders and stakeholders to create, select, and execute the 2018 PopUp! event in Millvale.
This $6,000 investment will positively impact Community Ownership in Millvale.
- 1 LDI-led PopUp project implemented
- 50 emerging new leaders identified and engaged
- 4 Community-based organizations and/or individuals actively engaged in the planning/execution of PopUp!
Equitable Business Development Program Designed for Minority East End Entrepreneurs | East Liberty Development Inc.
6308-6346 E Liberty Blvd, Pittsburgh, PA 15206, USA
East Liberty Development Inc. will pilot a 9-month Business Development Program, with the longer term goal of securing a permanent, supportive, co-working space for minority business development.
This $15,000 investment will positively impact Equitable Development in Larimer.
- 10 participants joining the Catapult Program: From Start Up to Storefront for 9 months
- 10 one-on-one mentoring sessions held
- 8 Educational Seminars hosted
- 8 Networking Events for participants, program sponsors, community businesses, community leaders and strategic partners
- 3 sites identified for Larimer storefronts
BizFIT Plus Training Program | Riverside Center for Innovation
Riverside Center for Innovation, River Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
BizFIT Plus is the next phase of the original BizFIT entrepreneurship training program designed to support the growth of local Disadvantaged Business Enterprises (DBEs) working within the construction industry. BizFIT provides technical training, strategy development, network-building opportunities and coaching to help DBEs grow into sustainable firms by building on their organizational strengths, core competencies and competitive advantages. Prime contractors, anchor institutions, government agencies, elected officials along with many DBE firms created the BizFIT curriculum to address the systemic issues and barriers that hinder the growth of DBEs.
For the 2018 initiative, RCI will specifically target higher capacity DBE firms that have the growth potential to bid and service contracts of $100,000 or more through the support of the BizFIT Plus program. Many of the firms in the pipeline for BizFIT Plus are recent graduates of the original BizFIT Tier 1 and Tier 2 training programs.
- 15 MWDBEs will increase contract awards by 5-10%
- 15 current MWDBEs will have informational websites created
- 15 MWDBE microenterprises will increase their total annual revenues by 5-10%
- 15 MWDBEs will be mentored in a CEO Roundtable Series
- 15 MWDBE businesses will be enrolled in the new Diversifypittsburgh.org web portal for large contracting opportunities
Summer Academy | St. Paul AME Church
St Paul AME Church, Orchard Place, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
St. Paul AME Church will provide educational assistance to the children of the Hilltop Communities by offering a program with curriculum that combats summer slide.
- 1 youth-serving programs and/or spaces created
- 3 people connected with a job
- 20 positive neighborhood stories cultivated
- 1 resident-led projects implemented
- 25 emerging new leaders identified and engaged
Supporting a Food Cluster | Wilkinsburg CDC
1000 Penn Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
The Wilkinsburg CDC has administered business workshops over the past two years. They have worked with many entrepreneurs to start their business, only to see them locate in other neighborhoods due to a lack of available code compliant space within the Wilkinsburg business district. The WCDC see this challenge as being one of supply not of demand and would like to both expand and refine their business workshop program to help link entrepreneurs to spaces in Wilkinsburg’s business district.
The project scope is built upon feedback from previous program participants and building owners and is designed to comprehensively address the barriers that inhibit occupancy. The project includes the following elements:
1) Business Workshops
2) Individual Business Consultations
3) Real Estate Feasibility & Technical Assistance
4) Matching Storefront Improvement Grants
5) Rental Assistance Program
- 3 re-activated vacant or inactive commercial properties/units
- 12 entrepreneurs and start-up businesses that will receive technical assistance
- 4 existing businesses receiving long-term assistance
Workforce Housing | Trade Institute of Pittsburgh
7900 Susquehanna Street, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Trade Institute of Pittsburgh (TIP) will offer transitional housing for program participants in their Apprentice in Training program (AITs) in need of stable and safe housing while they complete training programs and seek employment. This transitional housing will allow AITs to stabilize, save money, and prepare for independent living while simultaneously gaining construction and carpentry skills as they renovate and maintain the house. An apprentice who has successfully graduated from the AIT program at TIP will live in the community house, and serve as the house manager by orienting new students to the house, ensuring compliance with house rules. Residents will also have access to the supportive services available at TIP. While working on the house, students will contribute a portion of their salary to rent. TIP has committed to providing housing for at least twelve individuals from Sept. 1, 2018- July 1, 2019. This model addresses the pervasive issues of finding affordable housing for people who have criminal records. It provides the individuals housed with the opportunity to learn renovation, home repair, and maintenance skills, in addition to what they are learning through their training program; and it pilots a model that if successful, the Trade Institute of Pittsburgh can expand to other houses and other training/program providers can replicate.
- 12 unemployed/underemployed workers gaining access to living-wage jobs
- 12 people gaining access to affordable housing in a redeveloping neighborhood
- 3 residents positioned to stay in their home when facing displacement
- 2 affordable units preserved
- 12 people facing barriers to housing are housed while learning a skilled trade
- Home Ownership and Housing Services Program
- Bennett Street Development | Homewood
- Tenant Leadership Development Program
- 2018 PopUp! Pittsburgh Project
- Catapult Equitable Business Development Program
- BizFIT Plus | Equitable Development | System Improvement
- Summer Academy | Quality of Life | Hilltop
- Wilkinsburg Food Cluster | Market Confidence | Wilkinsburg
- Workforce Housing | Equitable Development | Homewood